What is NASA's Mega Moon Rocket?
The mega moon rocket is an upcoming giant rocket developed for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) by Blue Origin. The mega moon rocket will be able to help NASA in its mission of exploring space and will also be used for commercial purposes.
What is the Mega Moon Rocket?
The mega moon rocket, also known as the Space Launch System, is a large rocket that will be able to carry large payloads into space and is part of NASA's Artemis program. It comprises four main elements, the rocket engine, sustainer, and two upper stages.
What is the Rocket Engine?
The rocket engine will be attached to the booster of the mega moon rocket. The rocket engine will help propel the mega moon rocket into space.
What is the Sustainer, and What Does It Do?
The sustainer will be attached to the bottom of the booster and will help keep it stable as it flies throughout space. The sustainer also helps add thrust, which is necessary to keep the mega moon rocket in space.
What is the Upper Stage, and What Does It Do?
The upper stage will be attached to the top of the booster and will help further propel the mega moon rocket into space. The upper stage also provides thrust to keep the mega moon rocket in space.
What are the Specifications of the Mega Moon Rocket?
The mega moon rocket cost around $20 billion to design and develop. This is a lot of money but will be worth it, considering how many payloads it can carry into space and how many times it can be used. Its specifications are;
- It has 322 feet or 98 meters and weighs 5.7 million pounds or 2.6 million kilograms. It is an enormous rocket.
- The mega moon rocket will have the ability to carry a payload of more than 143,000 pounds or 65 metric tons into space. It will be able to take twice as many shipments into space compared to the Saturn V.
- Instead of using a separation system like other rockets, the mega moon rocket has a two-stage launch system which allows it to separate when it is already in space.
- The booster is 2.5 times the solid rocket boosters of the space shuttle- This will help propel the mega moon rocket into space at over 5,600 miles per hour or 3,800 kilometers per hour. It will have greater force than its predecessors, meaning it will be able to carry a bigger payload.
- Its first stage will carry 12 metric tons of payload- The mega moon rocket will have 12 metric tons of freight in addition to the fuel and other materials that it needs to fly through space.
Why is the Mega Moon Rocket Being Developed?
The mega moon rocket will help NASA explore space- It will help the National Aeronautics and Space Administration in its mission to explore the cosmos while also allowing them to study the outer reaches of space. The mega moon rocket will be able to keep humans in space for long periods.
The mega moon rocket will be used for commercial purposes- Its primary goal is to be used by NASA, but the mega moon rocket will also be used by other companies that need to send payloads into space. It will allow people and companies to carry out their business in space.
Also, the mega moon rocket will allow NASA to save money- Using this rocket will lower the cost of sending payloads into space, enabling NASA to save money.
Where are They Developing It?
They have chosen Kennedy Space Center to develop the mega moon rocket. On March 17th, 2022, the mega moon rocket was tested at Kennedy Space Center. The test was successful, and this will continue to be done as the mega moon rocket gets closer to its expected launch period.