Why is Meteorite Jewelry So Popular Today?
Did you know that meteorite is one of the most popular materials that is constantly gaining attraction in the jewelry industry? People are hooked to the strength and beauty of this material. It is a part of many popular trends today like raindrop and cross pendants, which are both set in meteorite. The unusual type of jewelry has been present in fashion before, but only recently it is back on the trend-setting bandwagon.
What is a Meteorite?
Meteorite is a stone that was formed during the formation of the solar system. It is believed to be one of the oldest materials on Earth and at the same time one of the heaviest. It is discovered that most meteorites contain about 90% of iron, which makes this material remain in shape for millions of years. In addition to iron, it also contains small amounts of Nickel and steel. Scientists are still not completely sure how meteorites are formed as they have found two opinions regarding this subject.
- Opinion #1: First one claims that meteorites were formed when the solar system was in the beginning of its creation. That way, a meteorite is a material that belongs to planetesimals, which were small planets that later became Earth and other planets.
- Option #2: The second opinion is that meteorites are debris left by a comet or asteroid that hit Earth millions of years ago. The stone survived as it fell into the atmosphere, hitting Earth's surface and becoming a part of it.
Now, there are three types of meteorites:
- Stony meteorites mainly contain silicate materials.
- Iron meteorites are composed of iron nickel and cobalt
- Stony-iron meteorite as the name suggests, is a combination of both.
The fascinating properties of meteorites have drawn people's attention for centuries. Archaeologists have discovered that meteorites were used as tools and also used as objects of adornment by ancient civilizations. Meteorite is a material that can be found in different parts of the world, and it has an extremely large variety in color, texture, and structure. Its beauty is the result of its uniqueness; this makes it an interesting material for jewelry production.
How is Meteorite Jewelry Made?
Meteorite jewelry is made out of pieces of meteorite that are cut in the form of a pendant, stone or a ring. After that, the material is polished and placed into the desired setting. It should be noted that this type of jewelry is not like any other pieces of jewelry as it falls under the category of luxury items. Most often meteorite products are handmade and go through many processes in order to achieve maximum perfection and beauty.
Many artists are involved in the process of making meteorite jewelry. First, the stone must be found and then it is cut into a proper shape. Next, the metallurgists at the jeweler's studio melt down the stone and add alloys that will make it properly set in a piece of jewelry. The last stage is to assemble the product. This intricate process can be lengthy and expensive if the meteorite pieces are small in size.
Meteorite is a very popular material among jewelry-making professionals. This is not only due to its beautiful appearance, but also because of exceptional strength and durability. Meteorite pendants and rings made from these materials are usually handmade with the special finishing that requires temperature control, which makes them look flawless even after years of wearing them.
The different types of meteorite jewelry include:
- Rings are the most common kind of jewelry made out of round or rectangular pieces of meteorite. They can be set with different gemstones as well as precious metals.
- Pendants are made out of meteorite and set with precious metals, gems or both.
- Locket pendants are also made out of this special material and have a specific small box opening on the top that can hold photos or pieces of paper with important information written on them.
- Bracelets come in different styles and shapes. They can be made out of round or rectangular pieces of meteorite and set with precious metals, which are usually gold or silver.
- Earrings are made in different styles, shapes and colors. They can be embellished with gems like diamonds, rubies or emeralds or left plain as a pendant accessory. You can get them in any color you want as it is also possible to make this jewelry from black and white stones.
How Has Meteorite Jewelry Become More Mainstream?
Meteorite jewelry sales have been growing at a very fast rate, not only in the United States but throughout the world. In fact, there are several reasons for this as you’re about to find out here.
Reason #1: Long Lasting
One of the reasons why people prefer it over other forms of jewelry is due to its long lasting strength and beauty. It is basically a unique material that has remained unchanged for millions of years on Earth, so it doesn't get damaged or broken as often. This fact makes meteorites exceptionally durable and strong, and people appreciate their longevity.
Reason #2: Believed to Have Healing Properties
Not really a secret that meteorite jewelry is believed to have properties that can help treat illness and cure diseases. There are many people who believe that the stones from the meteorites contain healing energies and therefore use them often for their health. Meteorite jewelry is not just a type of ornament as it’s believed to have magical powers and can help cure illnesses and increase the person's vitality as well as purify the wearer's body.
Reason #3: Meteorite Jewelry Represents Strength & Power
Meteorites have been given the name "stones of heaven" and it is believed that meteorites are a representation of strength and power. Meteorite jewelry falls under the category of luxury items, so it is valued for its distinctive quality that makes this material unique in comparison to other stones available on the market.
Reason #4: Meteorite Jewelry is Versatile
Meteorite is an affordable jewelry material that you can use by people of all ages. The stones are large and colorful and therefore they can be easily incorporated into any kind of attire worn by young and old people. This helps make this type of jewelry more attractive for those who use it for adornment purposes.